Tuesday, March 22, 2011

homemade pizza

icky picky rating: ***

This is one of my family's all time FAVORITE recipes. LOVE. IT. We've been using it since I was a kid.

PIZZA DOUGH

3/4 C water
1 + 1/3 TBS olive oil
1+1/2 tsp. sugar
3/4 tsp. salt
2 C flour
1+1/2 tsp. rapid/quick-rise yeast.

There a couple different ways to make it. My new favorite way is to use the dough hook on my mixer. Add the ingredients and turn the mixer on the lowest setting for like 5 minutes.

You could also use the dough setting on your bread machine.

You could also just knead it by hand for a good 5-10 minutes.

Once it's all mixed together and looking like a proper dough, you want to get a bowl, coat it with olive oil, place the dough in and turn it all around so your dough ball gets coated with the oil. Cover and let rise for at least 20 minutes.

I usually use the dough to make 3 personal size pizzas.


TOPPINGS
When you're dough is all rolled out into your desired pizza sizes, you'll need to add your toppings. My FAVORITE pizza sauce is Contadina Pizza Sauce. I prefer to buy it in a squeeze bottle but we just moved to Arizona and I haven't been able to find it in that form yet. It's also getting pretty tough to find! In Cincinnati, OH, I could only find it at Meijers. Once we moved to Arizona, we searched just about EVERY grocery store around and we've only been able to find it at Basha's.

So, yes. Contadina Pizza Sauce = yummy.

I also have a cheese preference. Yes. I am that picky. But the cheese has to melt the correct way or else it's just sickly. So I prefer either Precious Part-Skim Mozarella OR the Kirkland brand shredded mozarella cheese. I've had no problem with either and I can't tell the difference between them once the pizza has been made.

Other than that, pick the toppings of your choice! I prefer very little sauce and extra cheese. My hubby prefers a lot of sauce, a very light layer of cheese, pepperoni, diced green pepper, and then another light layer of cheese. Whatever floats yer boat.

You're going to preheat your oven to 425° and then bake for about 10 minutes-ish. Until it looks like a yummy pizza. And then enjoy :)

2 comments:

Lisa said...

It's a great recipe! I'll have to send you a box of the squeeze sauce. It's the one thing we do have way out here!
p.s. i like artichoke hearts and sausage on my pizza :)

leslie said...

this has been my go-to crust ever since you gave it to me a few years ago! it is great!